I never feel prepared and ready for Christmas until the Christmas tree goes up and is decorated. Whether you are a purest and go with a real tree or are like me and like the pre-lite easy to put up artificial tree here are some tips to decorating your tree like a pro!
- Fluff and shape the branches, especially important if your tree has been sitting in a box for the last year. This activity will help make your tree look fuller and in the case of an artificial one, more natural.
- Lights go one first-and with a pre-lite tree this one is a snap. If you are stringing lights start with the plug as the starting point, wrapping it around your Christmas tree’s trunk, working your way up from the centre of the base of your tree. Continue wrapping the lights evenly around the branches nearest to the trunk, and then weave it upward.
- Decoration time and here you can go with a theme -for more on a theme have a look at this article that shows the 2020 themes https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/decorate/looks/a28906348/john-lewis-christmas-decorations/ . My theme is ornaments that we love that represent first Christmases, travels, school art projects and my favourite anything Santa Claus. The pros say to create a balanced, visually pleasing tree, buy baubles in threes, sixes, or twelves, and add these on first in a 'Z' shape. You should hang larger baubles closer to the centre of the tree to give it more depth, and use small ones towards the end of the branches.
- Layering ribbon either all the same or in a variety of colours and widths really gives the tree that pop! I recommend the ribbon with wired edges which makes it easier to wrap and attached to branches.
- Tree Toppers- you should choose one that best fits your theme and the proportion of your tree, and take into consideration the height of your ceiling too. Ours is a small Christmas angel that my family bought in Europe when we lived there and is a least 60 years old.
- Finish with a tree skirt - not only do they cover the unsightly 'legs', trunk or stand of a tree, they also to protect your floors and carpets from any fallen pine needles (if you have a real tree). Plus, it's the perfect backdrop for beautifully wrapped Christmas presents.
As you can see from the picture of our tree it doesn’t follow any designer theme but we love it!
At the end of the day the tree should give you that warm Christmas feeling that says home and family, no matter how you decorate it! Happy holidays!